What Really Happened With Prince Harry On The Day Queen Elizabeth Died


At 12.32pm, both confirming the rumors and quelling the immediate panic that the worst had happened, Buckingham Palace said: ‘The Queen’s doctors are concerned for Her Majesty’s health and have recommended that she remains under medical supervision.

“The Queen remains comfortable and at Balmoral.”

Shortly after, Huw Edwards – BBC News presenter – appeared in black tie, setting the tone for viewers and newsrooms across the country.

The Duke of Cambridge and his uncles Prince Edward (with wife Sophie) and Prince Andrew were on their way to RAF Northolt, where a jet was waiting for them.

The one-hour delay in takeoff, expected at 1:30 p.m. but not occurring until 2:39 p.m., has not yet been properly explained.

At 3.50pm the Dassault Falcon landed at Aberdeen Airport, before the family, looking as grim as one might expect, piled into a car waiting to be driven at Balmoral by Prince William.

The Duchess of Sussex, meanwhile, found herself in the headlines.

“The Duke and Duchess of Sussex will travel to Scotland,” their spokesperson said shortly before 2 p.m.

In this case, she would not go.

The confusion, according to The Telegraph, was not the result of a pushy Duchess and in-laws who didn’t want her there, but of logistics.

Assuming the situation was no different than if the Queen had died while Harry was in California, their team figured she would fly with him for support.

By the time Prince Harry spoke to his father again, it became clear the spouses, including the Duchess of Cambridge, weren’t right.

“It was just a mistake,” said a source familiar with the day’s proceedings. “It wasn’t about offending or offending, it was just protocol and they [the Sussexes] were always going to respect that.

“The lay of the land has been clarified,” said another simply.

Their team raced to find a way to get Harry to Balmoral, quickly ruling out commercial flights or trains as all eyes were now on him.

Eventually a private jet was chartered – at an estimated cost of £30,000 – from Luton to fly him to Aberdeen, while Meghan remained in Frogmore.

Around 3pm, the big and the good were receiving text messages warning them that plans for Operation London Bridge might need to roll out imminently.

The Prime Minister was informed of the Queen’s death at 4.30pm. It was announced to the public at 6:30 p.m.

At this point, accounts of what happened behind the scenes with the royal family diverge.

While Charles and Anne made it to Balmoral in time to see their mother alive, their brothers and Prince William only got there in time to process the news of her death together.


Comments are closed.