USNI News Fleet and Marine Tracker: August 9, 2021
These are the approximate positions of carrier strike groups and amphibious ready groups deployed by the US Navy around the world as of August 9, 2021, based on Navy and public data. In cases where a CSG or ARG is conducting disaggregated operations, the map reflects the location of the capital ship.
US Navy Total Combat Force:
|Ships deployed underway||Non-deployed vessels underway||Total current vessels|
Vessels deployed by the fleet
|Fleet forces||3rd fleet||4th fleet||5th fleet||6th fleet||7th fleet||Total|
In the northern Arabian Sea
The Ronald Reagan attack group is located in the northern Arabian Sea. USS Ronald reagan (CVN-76), guided-missile cruiser USS Shiloh (CG-67) and the guided-missile destroyer USS Halsey (DDG-97) arrived in the U.S. 5th Fleet on June 25.
USS Ronald reagan (CVN-76), homeported in Yokosuka, Japan.
Carrier Air Wing 5
Carrier Air Wing (CVW) 5, based at Marine Corps Air Station Iwakuni, Japan, is embarked on board Ronald reagan and includes a total of nine squadrons and detachments:
- The “Royal Masses” of VFA-27 – Strike Fighter Squadron (VFA) – of Marine Corps Air Station Iwakuni
- Marine Corps Air Station Iwakuni’s VFA-102 Diamondbacks
- The “Eagles” of the VFA-115 of the Marine Corps Air Station Iwakuni
- The “Dambusters” of the VFA-195 of the Marine Corps Air Station Iwakuni
- The “Shadowhawks” of VAQ-141 – Electronic Attack Squadron (VAQ) – of Marine Corps Air Station Iwakuni
- The “Tigertails” of VAW-125 – Carrier Airborne Early Warning Squadron (VAW) – of Marine Corps Air Station Iwakuni
- VRC-30 “Suppliers” – Detachment 5 – Fleet Logistics Support Squadron (VRC) – from Marine Corps Air Station Iwakuni
- The “Golden Falcons” of HSC-5 – Helicopter Sea Combat Squadron (HSC) – from Atsugi Naval Base, Japan
- HSM-77 Saberhawks – Helicopter Maritime Strike Squadron (HSM) – from Naval Air Facility Atsugi, Japan
USS Shiloh (CG-67), homeported in Yokosuka.
Destroyer Squadron 15
Destroyer Squadron 15 is based in Yokosuka, Japan, and is embarked on the aircraft carrier. US 7th Fleet did not fully specify accompanying escorts Reagan on his patrol, but the CSG includes:
- USS Halsey (DDG-97), homeported in Pearl Harbor, Hawaii.
In the Gulf of Oman
The Iwo Jima Amphibious Ready Group and the 24th Marine Expeditionary Unit (MEU) transited through the Strait of Hormuz and entered the Persian Gulf on July 26. The ARG transit through Suez and entered the 5th Fleet on June 1.
USS Wasp-class amphibious assault ship Iwo jima (LHD-7), Harpers Ferry-class landing ship USS Carter Room (LSD-50) and amphibious transport dock USS San Antonio (LPD-17) constitute the ARG. Detachments embarked for ARG Iwo Jima include Amphibious Squadron Four, Fleet Surgical Team (FST) Six, Helicopter Sea Combat Squadron (HSC) 26, Tactical Air Control Squadron (TACRON) 21, Naval Beach Group (NBG) Two, Beach Master Unit (BMU) Two, Assault Craft Unit (ACU) Two and Four, and Sailors from Amphibious Construction Battalion (ACB) Two.
The 24th MEU, headquartered at Marine Corps Base Camp Lejeune, NC, consists of a Ground Combat Element, a Battalion Landing Team (BLT) 1/8, a Logistics Combat Element , Combat Logistics Battalion (CLB) 24, and Combat Aviation Element, Medium Oscillating Rotor Squadron (VMM) 162 reinforced. The 24th MEU also includes a light armored reconnaissance detachment.
HMS queen elizabeth (R08) and the British Royal Navy Carrier Strike Group are in Guam.
The British Carrier Strike Group includes: Type 23 HMS anti-submarine frigates Richmond (F239) and HMS Kent (F78); Type 45 HMS guided missile destroyers Defender (D36) and HMS diamond (D34); RFA Fort Victoria and RFA of the Royal Fleet Auxiliary Tidespring; American destroyer USS The Sullivans (DDG-68), Dutch frigate HNLMS Evertsen (F805); and the nuclear attack boat HMS Clever (S121). “The Wake Island Avengers” from US Marine Corps Fighter Attack Squadron (VMFA) 211 are embarked and integrated into the Royal Air Force 617 Squadron, “The Dambusters”.
The Japan-based America Amphibious Ready Group (ARG) is in the port of Guam, arriving August 8 following Exercise Talisman Saber 21 off Australia.
According to the Navy, the America Expeditionary Strike Group (ESG) concluded Talisman Saber 21 on July 31. During Talisman Saber 21, America ARG and Marines embarked integrated with Royal Australian Navy, Royal Canadian Navy, Japanese Maritime Self-Defense Force. and the Republic of Korea Navy.
Talisman Saber is a multinational field training exercise hosted by Australia in odd years in partnership with US Indo-Pacific Command. The ARG consists of the USS America (LHA-6), USS New Orleans (LPD-18) and USS Germantown (LSD-42) with the embarked 31st Marine Expeditionary Unit.
The 31st MEU is currently comprised of Medium Tiltrotor Squadron (VMM) 265 (Reinforced) as an Amphibious Combat Element, Battalion Landing Team, 3rd Battalion, 5th Marines as Ground Combat Element and Combat Logistics Battalion 31 as a logistics combat element.
In the Eastern Pacific
The Carl Vinson Carrier Strike Group deployed on August 2 and is heading west. This is the US Navy’s first deployment of F-35C Lightning II Joint Strike Fighter jets and the Navy’s new CMV-22B transporter.
USS Carl Vinson (CVN-70), homeported in San Diego, California.
Carrier Air Wing 2
Carrier Air Wing (CVW) 2, based at Naval Air Station Lemoore, Calif., Is embarked aboard the Carl Vinson and comprises a total of nine squadrons and detachments:
- The “Argonauts” of VFA-147 Strike Fighter Squadron (VFA) piloting F-35Cs from Naval Air Station Lemoore, California.
- The “bounty hunters” of VFA-2 – F / A-18F – from the Naval Air Station Lemoore.
- The “Stingers” of VFA-113 – F / A-18E – from the naval air base of Lemoore.
- The “Golden Dragons” of VFA-192 – F / A-18E – from the naval air base of Lemoore.
- The Gauntlets of VAQ-136 – EA-18G – Electronic Attack Squadron (VAQ) – from Naval Air Station Whidbey Island, Wash.
- The VAW-113 Black Eagles – E-2D – Carrier Airborne Early Warning Squadron (VAW) – from Naval Air Station Point Mugu, California.
- The “Titans” of VRM-30 – CMV-22B – Fleet Logistics Multi-Mission Squadron (VRM) – from Naval Air Station North Island, California.
- The “Black Knights” of HSC-4 – MH-60S – Helicopter Sea Combat Squadron (HSC) – from Naval Air Station North Island.
- The “Blue Hawks” of HSM-78 – MH-60R – Helicopter Maritime Strike Squadron (HSM) – from Naval Air Station North Island.
USS Champlain Lake (CG-57), homeported in San Diego, California.
Destroyer Squadron 1
Destroyer Squadron 1 is based in San Diego and is embarked on the aircraft carrier.
- USS Dewey (DDG-105), homeported in San Diego, California.
- USS Higgins (DDG-76), homeported in San Diego.
- USS O’Kane (DDG-77), homeported in San Diego.
- USS Michael Murphy (DDG-112), homeported in Pearl Harbor, Hawaii.
- USS Chafee (DDG-90), homeported to Pearl Harbor.
- USS Stockdale (DDG-106), homeported in San Diego.
USS Abraham Lincoln (CVN-72) is underway as part of Full-Scale Exercise 21 after departing San Diego Aug. 2. USS amphibious assault ship Tripoli (LHA-7) is testing systems.
In the Atlantic
USS Gerald R. Ford (CVN-78) is underway after its third explosive shock test off the coast of Florida on August 8, 2021. The carrier will now return to Norfolk, Va., To begin a six-month maintenance standby before a scheduled deployment the next year.
In addition to these major formations, not shown are thousands more serving in submarines, surface ships, aircraft squadrons, SEALs, Marine Air-Ground Special Forces, Seabees, Guardsmen. coasts, EOD mobile units, and many more serving across the globe.