The Sheldon Fire Company to blow sirens on Thursday to ask to put your escape plan into practice – KIWARadio.com
Northwestern Iowa – It’s National Fire Prevention Week. The Northwestern Iowa Fire Departments are busy teaching students and others about fire safety and prevention.
The Sheldon Fire Company hosts their annual Thursday night entertainment night with firehouse bingo for hams and turkeys and other prizes, and a movie showing on Main Street 3, both for a deal of free will.
But firefighters will also be busy driving through Sheldon in fire trucks, sounding their sirens. Sheldon Deputy Fire Chief Brad Hindt explains.
Hindt says their sirens will serve as a reminder to put your plan into practice. Experts suggest having at least two ways out and deciding where to meet the rest of your family in the event of a fire or other disaster.
Rock Rapids Fire Chief Ed Reck gives us some tips they gave students and others this week.
The theme for this year’s Fire Prevention Week is “Learn the Sounds of Fire Safety”. It focuses on the sounds made by smoke detectors and carbon monoxide detectors, not only when they alert you to leave the house, but also when they need to be replaced or their batteries need to be replaced. Reck tells us that if you have someone with hearing loss in your family, there are alarms that can alert them as well.
He tells us why carbon monoxide detectors are important.
Experts tell us that carbon monoxide, or CO, is a colorless, odorless, tasteless gas that replaces oxygen in the blood. In fact, they tell us that carbon monoxide has 210 times the affinity for hemoglobin than for oxygen. This prevents your blood from carrying oxygen to vital organs in your body and can lead to illness and death.
Reck says now is the time to focus on safety, but safety has no season.
Experts tell you to plan what you would do in the event of a fire, then repeat that plan with your family. And always maintain your smoke detectors. These are two of the easiest ways to increase your family’s chances of survival if your home catches fire.